“Red flag” gun bill civil rights advocates say chills free speech and violates constitutional rights was passed on the Senate floor by Democratic lawmakers Wednesday, September 4th; Governor Newsom expected to sign into law. .
Sacramento, CA—Democratic lawmakers in the California State Senate passed Assembly Bill 61 (AB 61) (Ting-D) around 3:00 PM, Wednesday afternoon. The bill was presented by Senator Nancy Skinner (D), whose district includes the East Bay communities of Richmond, Berkeley, Oakland, and San Leandro, and seeks to empower coworkers and employers to file Gun Violence Restraining Orders (GVRO) against anyone they might suspect as a danger to themselves or others, even if that belief or fear later turns out to be false or unreasonable.
CAPITOL HIGHLIGHTS APRIL 8-9, 2019
- California Senate Passes “Red Flag” Gun Law Activists Claim Violate Constitutional Rights
- California “Red Flag” Gun Bill to be Voted on in the Upcoming Weeks; Chills Free Speech, Violates Privacy, Due Process, and Cannabis Rights
- Does Facial Recognition’s Benefits Override Privacy?
- Proposed California Bill Would Mandate Priests Report Sexual Abuse Discussed in Confession
- Did pro-Israel lobby funding influence Democrats’ responses to Ilhan Omar?